In the upcoming Republican National Convention this week, one important but often overlooked thing that takes place is the official adoption of the Republican Party Platform.
This platform defines the principles of Republicanism - what it means, essentially, is that in order to be a true Republican you must embrace the planks of the platform, these are the party's principles and as a party member, they are your principles too.
So based on the draft of the Republican Party Platform to be voted on this week, you also believe:
1. That all abortion should be criminalized, and that there should be no exceptions for abortion, even in instances of rape or incest. This also includes making illegal drugs to end pregnancy after contraception.
2. That women should be subjected to government-enforced, unnecessary, and in some cases ill-advised medical procedures and waiting periods in order to have access to other healthcare.
3. Not only are you opposed to same-sex marriage, but you are opposed to any legal recognition of same sex couples, including civil unions.
4. That the burden of proof of citizenship is on the citizen - meaning you must have documentation proving your are a US citizen with you at all times, or the government will default to the assumption you are not a legal U.S. citizen and respond accordingly - with arrests and possible deportation.
5. Openly gay people should not be able to serve in the military and women should not be allowed to serve in combat positions.
6. That it would require a super-majority to pass new taxes except in instances of war and national tragedy and making it impossible to balance the Federal Budget by raising taxes - meaning that the only way to balance a budget would be to cut services like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Pell Grants, food stamps, etc.
And finally, based on the way Republican controlled states are enacting voter-suppression and disenfranchisement policies and legislation, Republicans also no longer seem to believe in democracy either.
So, to be a Republican in 2012 means you believe all abortion should be illegal, there should be big government interference for women's health care, you are opposed to same-sex couples, that Americans need to prove citizenship when questioned by the government, women shouldn't serve in combat positions in the military and gays shouldn't serve in the military, and that the government can only raise taxes for war and will eventually have to shed social programs (like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.), and that you no longer believe in democracy.
Oh yeah, and we should go back to the gold standard.