by Steve Messick
Okay, so as the name implies, I'm not so much a "glass half-empty" person, as I am more of an, "empty or full, sometime in the future, and probably sooner than we think, we'll be trying to rip out each other's spleens, just to lick the condensation off the outside of the glass," kind of person.
Anyway, new year, new leaf, (or attempted delusion), so here goes: The things that didn't suck in 2015:
1. Supreme Court, (yeah the conservative one), made MARRIAGE EQUALITY the law of the land. That's a big honkin' deal. We made a huge step toward making sense as a society. The GOP I suspect was relieved, they can milk this monkey for a few more elections, and yet, they realized, it was no longer the exploitative gold it once was, and was in fact, gonna be a big closeted albatross.
2. The Supremes had another hit this year, it affirmed the LEGALITY OF ACA, (or Obamacare-formerly Romneycare/HeritageFoundationcare). Yes, they did roll back a few stips, ('cos they still kinda suck), but it's a very large step in the right direction. Oh yeah, Forbes has approved it, admitting they were wrong initially about it. Damn! How often does that happen?
3. There are obviously some events every year that can be charitably viewed, at best, as "bittersweet". There was yet another mass gun killing, this time in a Charleston church, however, it did bring about the REMOVAL of the CONFEDERATE FLAG in many areas and ramped up the discussion of why it and other symbols are still allowed to exist on our landscape. In a presumably non-related event, the Spanish town of Castrillo Matajudios, has decided to change it's name! Why? 'cos translated it means, "Camp Kill the Jews!" and only a few centuries after the Inquisition! So that long slow slog toward fairness and sanity isn't just limited to the US.
4. Sometimes it's not so much good news, as it is watching fools suffer. There's been talk among the "hyper patriotic" sect of the right wing about having Texas secede, (maybe to justify bringing the Confederate flag back?). There was even a Looney-Tunes conspiracy about the big bad gub'mint "invading" Texas, (Jade Helm), which sadly was somewhat validated by the spineless governor of Texas, (maybe it's something in the water at the governor's mansion?). Not to worry, it turns out it only took a few natural disasters (wild fires and flooding) to take away any real pretense of traction. Everything's bigger in TEXAS, including the gub'mint WELFARE TROUGH.
5. TREY GOWDY being shown AS the PARTISAN TOOL that he is. Benghazi is indeed a tragedy. Were you aware that during Obama's tenure, that the deaths at US embassies has been lower than in any time in recent history? Well, you certainly wouldn't know following the mainstream media. Anyway, review and questioning are imperative, but they've been done ad nauseum, so without any real complaints, they flogged the remnants of this dead horse. The problem was that at the end, Trey, the snippy mannequin looked like the one under interr0gation.